Saturday, March 19, 2011

Post on Methodology

Now that I have a banner, I feel I can permit myself some liberties à la poste. That is to say, as any revolutionary squadron will tell you, a banner helps greatly the cause of liberation. I thought I'd address the world directly today, in simple prose.

It's hard enough when you're proposing yourself a poet, God knows.

At any rate, it's been a year or so since this project was born, and Spring is on the horizon. It's about time I expound something behind the methodology of my posting.

It's something like a mix between confession, instructive writing, and high boasting.

As many people are, I too am superstitious. Especially with regards to artistic endeavour. And as an anthropologist probably said at some point or another, superstition is usually put in place for some subconscious practical reason.

Like circumcision in the desert, to prevent itching, or like how Lent is conveniently located around the end of Flu season.

I superstice here, above all. A little fear of forces unknown ensure that I rarely post a poem or a piece of writing that isn't at least several months old. This is because poems have a shelf-life, and the good majority of them decay. It encourages me to be self-critical, and at the same time, to write a lot. I'm not convinced I'm a writer because to me, writing a lot is a chore.

I would never presume to judge someone for what they weren't inclined to do or to enjoy, but if they outright say something I like is boring, I turn it right back on them and say the person in question is the boar.

On my computer, there is buried as a result of all this nit-picking a vast time-capsule of unpublished, unedited, and largely unread writing. On a given day I might sift through em. If any of it is particularly pleasing to me, and really gets me winking, thinking, or drinking, then there's a good chance, should the muse prompt, that I'll post it here online, where it poses like food on a restaurant's digital menu, but bigger!

Everyone knows digital space is not yet as good as physical space, but it's getting there and I wouldn't be surprised if someday soon it becomes the venue de rigeur.


No comments:

Post a Comment