Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Otium...Negotium

What did you do today? I'd like to think you, my friend, spend your time doing things that are satisfying or pleasant or at least tolerable (not to seem sarcastic).

I myself like to lengthen my days with a good Hudibrastic.

I've always been curious about people whose every moment is purportedly a moment of joy.

They were either put on this earth by a benign deity to be a model to all of us, or otherwise shat out long and hard by Satan to annoy.

A day is alright, as long as nobody gets in the way, or talks too loudly, or turns on the news.

Which is similar to saying it'd be fine to be a firefighter if only one could avoid burns on one's shoes.

So if it's dragging? There are lots of astounding chances to save a bleak day from tedium.

I've seen them range in size from tall to venti, or in normal parlance, from small to medium.

Why there's nature out there, and all the splendour it entails;

(a few other things, and some snails.)

Classical music was born to yank Aristocrats out of Melancholia, and back into a joyous animation.

If it were more Democratic, for every angsty teen we'd have a Goldberg Variation.

Even a well-timed simple beverage can make you feel serene, after all.

Especially if it is flavoured with a little caffeine, or alcohol.

But to each their own; if your day stinks, I can't make it better, alas, for de gustibus non disputandam...

And if there's anybody out there who's consoled by that, I'll be damned if I've found him.


No comments:

Post a Comment