Saturday, August 11, 2012

Plain Cornflakes, or, The Vagaries of Cereal Dating


“To a patio, yes! To a patio!
To a patio must we go!
To a patio, with a pitcher!
I declare it must be so.”

We agree to meet in the afternoon
On a patio for a beer.
A guy who couldn’t agree to that
(She felt) was kinda queer.

We agree to meet anywhere downtown
So long as it had a patio.
A guy who couldn’t agree to that
(She felt) was lacking Ratio.

She loves quinoa (and don’t you know!)
She loves to do photography.
Her ideal man (or chick) must boast:
Tattoos and good orthography.

Oh a lovely, lovely patio
Dear sir, (I heard her sigh)
A beer and a patio right ‘bout now
Oh sir, and I could die!

She’s “fun-loving” and “down to earth”
And “totally easy going”.
(I don’t know what she meant and I
Felt awkward for not knowing.)

Supposedly she “loves to read”
When she “has the time, but any-waaay...”
She’s read at least one book, I’m sure,
One book by Ernest Hemingway.

“Ah, patty, oh patty, how pretty-o!
Underneath an umbrella and drinking
A lovely old beer on St. Patty-o’s
What else could a woman be thinking?”

She loves to visit far-off lands
And she loves to get outdoors.
She loves so many lovely things -
But a patio! Nothing more!

Ah girls, I know you’re interesting…
Pardon my non-complacency.
I`m glad you all have likes but must
You be so damn Renaissancy?

Ah girls I know you love things
So much as loving’s able
So won’t you settle for a cup of wine
And a notched-up picnic table?

Oh men of the world who would date
And would catch you a fish on the line
Just hook on a “patio” as bait
And you’ll do (as I see it) just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment